UK – Tech Savvy Brits
Mobile phone booking behaviour revealed
It’s a case of phones first, friends later for over half of Brits, as the Hotels.com™ Mobile Travel Tracker* reveals 55% of Brits chose their mobile phone as their favourite travel accessory over a loved one or best friend.
A fifth (20%) of the great British public now regularly use a tablet for choosing and booking their next holiday hotspot. As smartphones get smarter it’s no surprise that a quarter (25%) look to make a booking for a short break or city break abroad.
Highlights from the Hotels.com Travel Tracker include:
- No Work and All Play – Over 1 in 10 (11%) Brits admit to booking a holiday through their mobile when they should be working.
- Travel Agents No More – 86% of Brits would use an alternative method to a travel agent when booking their travels.
- Spontaneous Stayers: A fifth (20%) of Brits say their smartphone makes them more spontaneous when travelling, while globally, 42% of people have made a same day hotel booking and over a fifth of holidaymakers book less than a week before travel. A super spontaneous 14% have really left booking a hotel to the last minute and actually booked in the airport lounge before departure.
- Price Isn’t Always Right – the best deals and genuine customer reviews are the most important factors Brits look for when booking on mobile. The top 5 includes:
- The price is best value – 35%
- Genuine guest reviews – 34%
- The payment method is right for me – 33%
- Lots of hotel photos – 28%
- Detailed info on the hotels – 27%
- Click and snap – When it comes to what Brits get up to on their mobile device whilst on holiday, it seems almost a third (32%) admitted to checking the weather regularly and taking pictures (31%).
- Secret Bookers – From the bedroom to the boardroom to the bathroom: 16% of Brits say they have booked a hotel whilst in bed with their partner – this is the most popular situation for booking a hotel. More than 1 in 10 (11%) people also admitted to booking a hotel in the office when they were supposed to be working and 8% even confessed to booking a hotel whilst sitting on the toilet!
- Future of Mobile Travel: Leaving an instant review of the hotel experience is also the top function we wish our mobile device would be able to facilitate for future hotel stays with 21% of Brits stating they would want to do this.
For more information and insights on UK traveller’s be from the hotels.com Mobile Travel Tracker, please contact Simon Matthews, EMEA PR Manager for Hotels.com brand on firstname.lastname@example.org